Civilian Armoured Vehicles generally require an upgraded brake system to be able to cope with the added weight the armour brings to the vehicle. Over the years, TSS International BV has provided hundreds of these brake systems for platforms such as the Toyota Land Cruiser 200 V8, the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, Nissan Patrol Y62, Chevrolet Suburban, Mercedes-Benz S-Class and many others.
A recent development in the automotive industry is that the parking brake no longer makes use of a drum-in-hat solution, where two separate brake shoes clamp into a drum integrated in each rear-axle brake disc. Instead, many OEMs now choose to integrate the parking brake in the rear brake callipers and activate the callipers’ pistons to use the operational brake pads to clamp onto the friction area of the brake disc. This has some advantages for the OEM, mainly in regard to cost. For the armouring industry however, this poses a challenge, in that this type of brake calliper does not easily allow the required increase in size of the brake discs in order to create more stopping power for the added weight.
Until now. Through close collaboration with MOV’IT GmbH, TSS International BV has two complete-vehicle brake upgrades for armoured versions of the new Toyota Land Cruiser 300 and the latest model Mercedes-Benz G-Class.
Both upgrades consist of front axle brake discs, callipers, brake lines & brackets, as well as a rear axle upgrade with brake discs, brake lines and a unique set of callipers with integrated fully functioning Electronic Parking Brake. The rear axle callipers have been optimised, to be able to incorporate a 384x36mm brake disc for maximum braking performance.
Combine these brake upgrades with 18” TSS Heavy Duty Wheels with Rodgard BPX Runflat inserts and you have a synergetic solution for armoured vehicles of GVWs up to 7200kgs (based on 50/50 weight distribution).
Also available for armoured conversions of the Mercedes-Benz G-Class and Toyota Land Cruiser 300:
• TSS ProtecTank®: Self sealing and flame retardant fuel tank protection system for weight savings
• JRZ Suspension shock absorbers, delivered complete with springs
– Available in adjustable and non-adjustable versions
– Optional: Proactive system for live, high-speed, automatic adjustments during driving
• SKYDEX shock mitigation system, for weight saving and added occupant-protection
• B&G Intercoms with integrated sirens, for closed-window communication with the vehicle’s surroundings. Also controls B&G LED-lights in the grill and bumpers.